The Genesis Digital Key system allows users to unlock and start their vehicle via their smartphone. Replacing a physical key, the new Digital Key can be downloaded via an app and used by up to four authorized people. This technology is not just new to Genesis, but largely new to the industry.
Genesis Digital Key will be available for the first time in the 2021 Genesis G80 and Genesis GV80 Below are some of the most anticipated questions and answers about Genesis Digital Key.
Digital Key FAQs
Is Genesis Digital Key secure?
Genesis Digital Key utilizes Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, which exhibits a high level of security. The NFC wireless data communication takes place only when the device and the reader are within a few centimeters of each other.
Does Genesis Digital Key only work right next to the car?
The remote functions using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) commands can be performed within a 15 meter radius of your vehicle using the Genesis Digital Key App. The only time you are required to stand next to your vehicle is when you are using the NFC functions where you would need to tap your phone onto the door handle to Lock/Unlock or Start your vehicle.
Which devices are compatible with Genesis Digital Key?
A compatible Android smartphone. Currently, only Android phones are compatible with the Genesis Digital Key system. The phone must meet the following requirements:
o Android 7.0 or newer
o Bluetooth (BLE) 4.0 or newer
o Near Field Communication (NFC)
NOTE: If the device supports NFC or BLE only, then the usage of Digital Key features will be limited.
Can I use Genesis Digital Key on my iPhone?
1. No. Genesis Digital Key is currently only available on Android devices.
Alternately, you can use the NFC Key Card provided with the vehicle.
How do I get started with Genesis Digital Key?
1. Search for "Genesis Digital Key" in the Google Play Store on your smartphone and download the app.
2. Log into the app using your MyGenesis.com or Genesis Intelligent Assistant Username and Password.
Note: The vehicle must be added to your MyGenesis.com account.
3. After logging in to the app, please head to your vehicle, place your phone on the Wireless Charger and follow the instructions and use the vehicle's Navigation Screen (Navigation-equipped models), or Gauge Cluster Screen non-navigation-equipped models) to proceed with registering the key between the car and the smartphone.
How do I select my primary vehicle?
Select the “Star” icon next to your vehicle image in the Genesis Digital Key App homepage to mark it as the primary vehicle.
How do I pair my smartphone as a Primary Digital Key for the first time?
1. After you enter the vehicle with the proximity key (your physical key), turn the vehicle on.
2. Press the + button on the mobile app to put the primary phone in pairing mode.
3. Pair and Register the key using the Digital Key settings section in the vehicle menu.
· Navigation users (use the navigation screen): Setup → Vehicle → Digital Key → Smartphone Key → Select Save
· Display Audio users: (use the gauge cluster display): Digital Key → Smartphone Key → Select Save
How do I pair the NFC Key Card?
Your NFC Key Card will be paired for you by your retailer and will be available upon delivery of your vehicle. If you need to pair your NFC Key Card please follow the steps below:
To pair the NFC Key Card you must have:
1. The vehicle’s proximity key
2. NFC Key Card
3. Android phone with the Genesis Digital Key app
Follow these steps:
1. Turn on the vehicle using the proximity key.
2. Select NFC Key Card pairing in the Genesis Digital Key app from the Primary smartphone.
3. Place the NFC Key Card on the Wireless Phone Charger.
4. Navigate to the NFC Key Card pairing screen in your vehicle.
· Navigation users (use the navigation screen):
Setup → Vehicle → Digital Key → NFC Key Card
· Display Audio users (use the gauge cluster display):
Digital Key → NFC Key Card
5. Select Save on the vehicle settings.
Do I need to unlock my phone to use Genesis Digital Key?
You will need to unlock your phone to use the Genesis Digital Key. You do not have to open the Digital Key app. Once the vehicle is started, the phone can be locked and taken off of the Wireless Charging Pad.
How do I “share” a Digital Key?
A Digital Key can be shared by entering the name, mobile phone number and email address of the shared user into the app, and asking them if they want a shared key. The user must download the Digital Key app on their Android phone and accept the shared key request.
The level of access to different vehicle functions can be tailored to each shared key user for a defined period of time. The vehicle owner can preset the duration of vehicle use or limit the use to only certain features when loaning the vehicle, and, of course, keys can be revoked remotely. A total of three Digital Keys can be shared by the Primary Driver.
How many shared keys can I have?
You can share up to 3 keys.
How do I transfer Digital Key to a new phone?
1. If it wasn’t cloned automatically from your previous phone, download the Digital Key app to your new phone.
2. Use your existing MyGenesis (or Genesis Intelligent Assistant) login credentials. Please reset your password in case you have forgotten your password.
3. After logging into the Genesis Digital Key app, you will need to re-pair your device.
What if I am having trouble using Genesis Digital Key when my phone is using Bluetooth for audio streaming or phone calls?
Disable and then re-enable Bluetooth on your device, and try again.
What if I forget my Genesis account PIN or Password?
Reset PIN/password by visiting MyGenesis.com or using the Genesis Intelligent Assistant mobile app.
How do I use my NFC Key Card?
1. Simply tap your NFC Key Card on the Driver or Passenger door handle to enter the vehicle.
2. To drive the vehicle, place the NFC Key Card on the wireless charging pad, start your vehicle, then remove your NFC Key Card.
How do I pair my NFC Key Card if I am an iPhone user?
To pair the NFC Key Card without an Android Phone you must visit a Genesis Retailer.
How do I obtain a new NFC Key Card?
Please contact your preferred Genesis Retailer to order a replacement NFC Key Card.
What should I do if I have lost my phone or my phone is stolen?
1. Please ensure that you carry the NFC Key Card with you at all times to be able to continue to access your vehicle.
2. Immediately disable Digital Key usage from within your navigation screen (if equipped) or steering wheel cluster menu. (Note: you need to have your proximity key fob with you to access this menu option).
3. Terminate services using the MyGenesis login credentials under Account Management session.
4. Re-enroll into Digital Key services from MyGenesis.com after you replace your phone/device.
5. Re-enable the Digital Key usage from within your navigation screen or steering wheel cluster menu.
Suggested Best Practices:
1. Ensure you are using a supported device and it has sufficient battery charge.
2. Ensure the phone is placed correctly on the wireless charging pad.
3. Unlock your phone if you have a PIN, Face, Fingerprint , Pattern or other mechanism to lock your device.
4. Carry your NFC Key Card as a back-up with you at all times.